Counselling for Addiction
Addiction counselling is a form of therapy that is used to help people who are struggling with addiction. Addiction can refer to a variety of different behaviours, including drug and alcohol abuse, gambling, sex addiction, and eating disorders. No matter what type of addiction you are struggling with, counselling can provide you with the support you need to overcome it. Contact us today to learn more about our services and to schedule a consultation!
What is Addiction Counselling?
Addiction counselling is a highly specialized form of therapy that involves working with a counsellor who is specifically trained in helping people overcome addiction. Addiction counselling can help you to understand your addiction, its causes, and how to overcome it alongside other mental health issues. It can also provide you with support and guidance as you work to recover from your addiction. Additionally, addiction counselling sessions can explore the reasons why the addiction happened such as the behaviour and the motivations of the person. This then helps the individual to become more aware of their actions and understand themselves better. This is very important in the process of recovery. Here are the ways that addiction counselling can help a recovering addict.
- It can strengthen a person’s self-worth.
- Help in developing healthier ways to manage stress.
- Teach how to properly react to triggers.
- Strengthen skills to deal with cravings
- Assist in mending broken relationships because of addiction.
- Encourage the person to become more responsible and committed to the treatment programs.
All in all , if you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, please reach out for help and feel free to schedule an initial consultation by clicking here.
Who Benefits From Counselling for Addiction?
Counselling for addiction can benefit anyone who is addicted to drugs or alcohol or any other behavior or substance. Counselling is also a key component in working to improve relationships with family and friends, and it can help people to return to work or school more motivated and focused. Additionally addiction counselling can help with the following:
- Improving your understanding of your addiction and its causes
- Allowing you to better identify triggers and develop coping mechanisms
- Improving your overall communication and relationships
In essence, through counselling individuals can learn how to identify and change the behaviours that lead to their addiction as well as find suitable constructive habits to take their place.
What are the Benefits of Addiction Counselling?
There are several benefits of addiction counselling including the following:
- Overcoming addiction
- Improved relationships with family members and friends
- Returning to work or school
- Improved mental and physical health
What Does an Addiction Counselling Therapy Session Look Like?
Addiction counselling therapy sessions typically last around an hour. During this time, the therapist will work with the patient to explore the underlying causes of their addiction and help them develop healthy coping mechanisms. The therapist may also provide education on addiction and its effects on the body and mind.
These counselling sessions usually take place once a week, but the frequency may be increased or decreased depending on the needs of the patient. Some patients may also benefit from attending group counselling sessions. These session provide support and allow patients to share their experiences with others who are struggling with addiction.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, counselling can be an effective treatment option. Click here to schedule a consultation today.
What are the Different Types of Addiction that Counselling is Best Suited For?
There are several types of addiction a counsellor can help address. Among these include the following:
- Alcoholism / Alcohol Addiction
- Substance and drug abuse
- Gambling addiction
- Eating disorders
- Internet addiction
- Pornography addiction
- Sex addiction
Fortunately with counselling for addiction this can help an individual understand the root cause of their addictive behaviors and work towards making necessary changes in their life to overcome it.
What is the Cost of Counselling for Addiction?
The cost of counselling for addiction will vary depending on the counsellor, the length of counselling, and whether it is done in an outpatient or inpatient setting. While psychotherapy services are not covered under OHIP, many individuals’ extended-health insurance provide coverage for psychological and counselling services. At Cedarway Therapy, we offer a sliding scale fee for addiction counselling to make it more accessible to those who need it. Direct-billing is also available for some extended-health insurance providers, such as Green Shield Canada. Overall, fees can be discussed during the initial consultation. To schedule your consultation click here!
What are the Different Types of Addiction Counselling?
Depending on the severity of addiction, counselling can be done in an outpatient or inpatient setting. In general, there are three types of counselling:
- Individual counselling: This style of counselling focuses on the individual and their unique experience with addiction.
- Group counselling: This type of counselling involves meeting with other individuals who are also struggling with addiction. It can be helpful to share stories and experiences as well as offer support to one another.
- Family counselling: Addiction not only affects the individual but also those closest to them. Family counselling can help to repair damaged relationships and offer support to everyone involved.
What Do Addiction Counsellors Do?
An addiction counsellor is dedicated towards helping individuals recover from their addictions and helps them overcome their substance, behavioral or alcoholic addictions to live a addiction-free life.
What Techniques are Used to Treat Addiction?
Several techniques and therapies are used to treat addiction. Among the primary types of therapy and treatment include the following:
- Behavioral Therapy
- Focuses on helping with addiction and substance abuse rehabilitation.
- Sometimes medication is required alongside a therapeutic approach. In particular medications can help manage chemical imbalances within the brain that could trigger the need to resort to addictive tendencies.
- Long-Term Treatment
- Overcoming addiction can take a long time, that’s why its important to take the time to stay consistent on your assigned therapy plan. To hold you accountable, at Cedarway Therapy we make sure to measure progress overtime and offer long-term treatment that helps ensure and mitigate the chance of relapse.
Is Addiction Always Treatable?
Absoloutely. Addiction is a treatable mental health disorder. With the current research on mental health, there are numerous therapies and medication options available for those looking to live productive lives free from addiction.
How Long Does it Take to Break Out of Addiction
The length of time it takes to break out of addiction is fully dependent on a case by case basis. Having said that, research has shown that most habits can be changed within a span of 30 days of consistent and conscious effort.
How Can I Schedule a Counselling for Addiction Appointment?
If you’re interested in Counselling for Addiction, Cedarway Therapy can help. We understand how addiction can negatively impact every area of a person’s life and those around them. Rest-assured that we are here to help. Our team of experienced psychologists will work with you personally to determine the best treatment plan to help you manage your situation. As mentioned previously we offer individual, group and family counselling. So regardless of what you need we can help you out! Additionally we would be more than happy to offer a multitude of resources to help you overcome your addiction.
If you think you or someone you care about may benefit from addiction counselling please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We offer free consultations so that you can learn more about our services and decide if we’re the right fit for you. Contact us today to book an appointment!